[oletrucks] Re: oletrucks-digest V2 #1833

To: oletrucks@autox.team.net
Subject: [oletrucks] Re: oletrucks-digest V2 #1833
From: Christian Pointer <kissaki@highstream.net>
Date: Thu, 16 Jan 2003 10:57:15 -0800
Hey Guys,
  Lively and timely threads. I'm getting ready to start rebuilding my
Panel in earnest this year. I'm planning to convert to 4 wheel drive
using newer Chevy axles &c. I've got a price of $300 for the 4sp.tranny,
NP203 transfer and both axles from a 1/2 T '73. But I want to go with
the 700r4 auto Which he has from a Caprice. ( I can change the tailshaft
to mate with a the transfer case can't I?) I'm also thinking I want to
go with the NP205 or newer transfer. (any jeepers with thoughts on
this?). I know that the width is too great and narrowing of the front
axle will be needed. I've talked to a hot rodder in the family circle
and he says it not too big a problem. Can anyone whose narrowed an axle
confirm this and ball park a price?

An observation; the early seventies Blazers are almost the right track,
front and rear, to fit under the AD without mods, but the wheelbase is
Waaay shorter (106.5" Vs. 116.5" for the AD 3100).

Sorry to be long in the tooth about this, but It's a big project and If
I collect many more parts that I can't use my wife may actually kick my
butt. Anybody on the west coast need a good parts truck?

So, the main questions are: 1) Axle narrowing: Prices, stories and
comments. 2) Changing a 2wd 700R4 to 4wd application? possible?
nightmare, or 6 pack in the shade. 3) Transfer case recommendations.
Thanks a million in advance.

Christian in Everett, WA
1953 3100 panel
1951 3100  3 window parts beast