Re: [oletrucks] diesel conversion

To: "mark" <ccpanel@jps.net>, oletrucks@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: [oletrucks] diesel conversion
From: "Bob KNOTTS" <raknotts@qwest.net>
Date: Mon, 27 Jan 2003 20:34:40 -0700
The Cummins 5.9 is a true diesel. It should be good for AT LEAST 300,000
miles before any major rework, such as rebuilding the head, etc. That's one
thing which sets it apart from the F---, and GM 6.2 and 6.5 diesels. The
fairly new GM Duramax is too new to know much abt it's durability.   One of
the guys I used to work with was a diesel mechanic in our quasi state
organization. He told me that when Cummins and Dodge were adapting the 5.9
to the pick-up (it was originally used in small road graders) , the engine
had to be detuned three times; it kept tearing up drive trains. I think they
settled on hybrid Dana 70 and 80 axles. The 80 for manual transmissions, and
the 70 for those with auto transmissions. The Cummins 5.9 and 8.3 are used
in motor homes; the 5.9 I know is often coupled with the Allison 1000
transmission, which is what GM uses as a transmission behind the Duramax 6.6
diesel. I'd love to have a newer GM 4X4 pick up with the 5.9 engine and
Allison transmission. You can have the engine conversion done here in Mesa,
but it's abt $12,000. And I don't know what drivetrain they use. I've been
researching this diesel idea for quite awhile. While I was still working, I
was going up a pretty steep grade from PHX to Payson AZ. in a Chrysler
minivan, with the 3.3 V-6. An older Cummins equipped p-u passed me doing abt
45. All my mini-van could do was 35 mph. The pick-up was towing a 35 foot
fifth-wheel travel trailer. That's why a diesel is nice. Plus they get abt
50-75 % better mileage. Bob K in PHX, AZ.