Re: [oletrucks] Re: Diesels and such

To: "Christian Pointer" <kissaki@highstream.net>, <oletrucks@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [oletrucks] Re: Diesels and such
From: "Doug Pewterbaugh" <dpewter@email.msn.com>
Date: Tue, 28 Jan 2003 00:42:55 -0600
I WISH I got 30mpg; my daily driver IS an 85 300D Turbo & I have never
obtained better than about 24 (average is 22-23), but I will give testimony
to the longevity.  I have 235,000 miles on it now (never been into the
engine) & my mechanic's station car (identical year & model) has over 300k
on it & he has never been into the engine, not even the head.  Part of the
secret is the 8 quarts of oil it takes on a change & the BIG oil cooler it
uses (the rest of the heavy design doesn't hurt either).

The later (86 & up) 2.5 liter non-turbo engine, however, IS reported by
users to get 30-33mpg.  I'll have to let you know; my son just bought a 190D
2.5.  The body is a little smaller (& that helps boost the mpg), but he has
a heavier foot than I do & doesn't drive as much highway yet (plus we have
to fix the odometer first).

AFA the suspension, MB is unibody & there isn't any frame to "port" to an
AD; that would make moving it to an AD frame a real challenge!

Regards,
Doug Pewterbaugh
dpewter@msn.com
Denton, TX