Re: [oletrucks] Need help with 261 engine specs-ASAP-please

To: <oletrucks@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [oletrucks] Need help with 261 engine specs-ASAP-please
From: "Allen Jones" <jonesal@u.washington.edu>
Date: Sun, 2 Feb 2003 09:43:57 -0800
Did the crank bind after you torqued all the main caps or just one main cap?
(meaning find out which specific cap it is)  Find a factory manual for your
year engine (is it a real '54 261 or a transplant? Use the casting date code
or casting number to tell you) to get the specs.  The rear cap may have it's
own spec.  If the plastigage reads fine (I'm guessing you're at 0.0015 or
0.0020) and you get binding on only one cap, there's something strange with
1) the journal, 2) the bearing, 3) the way you have installed the bearing,
or 4) the main cap.  Carefully inspect each of these to see if you can
visually isolate the problem.  Measure each separately if you have to (in
several locations to check clearance, taper and out of round).  Has the
crank been recently ground?  Did you line bore the mains?  (not suggesting
you do either)  I've seen a lot of screw-ups come back from the machinist.
You might try plastigaging the fit with the crankshaft in two positions, 90
degrees apart.

Good luck!  Let us know what you find out so we can all learn.

Allen in Seattle