[oletrucks] Carter WCFB Carburetor Info Needed

To: oletrucks <oletrucks@autox.team.net>
Subject: [oletrucks] Carter WCFB Carburetor Info Needed
From: Kevin & Deana Brown <MGTRAutoXr@sprintmail.com>
Date: Wed, 05 Feb 2003 19:15:19 -0600
As I am assembling the 51 Chevy 3100 that I recently got one of the
things that is missing from both the Chevy 305 and the Olds 307 engines
that came with it is a carburetor.  Both engines have 4-bbl stock
manifolds (though the Chevy one is from an earlier 327) and I am
thinking of using an old Carter WCFB 4-bbl carburetor that I bought a
while back.  The carburetor was freshly cleaned up and rebuilt but is
missing the id tag and I can't really find any numbers on it besides the
patents (9 numbers) and what appears to be an "0-857" , with the 857
inside a circle almost like a date code) on the side to the right of the
patent numbers.  Does anybody know any other way to id these carbs?  The
one concern that I have may be that it may not have enough air flow
capabilities, for what I want I figure I need a 500 cfm carb (an
Eldelbrock 1404 500 cfm carb would probably be ideal for what I want but
I would like to use this since I have it, plus it is a vintage piece
that looks neat since it has been powder coated red).  I'm not looking
for all out acceleration just good solid low end torque (my daily driver
for my 95 mile per day commute is an '01 Camaro SS with a 6-speed which
gives me all the acceleration I need).  What got me concerned is that
the primary and secondary ventures are all the same size, 1 - 5/16
inches measured across the bottom of the carb, where on more modern
carbs the secondary ventures are always bigger.  I know that Chevy used
some of these carbs on dual quad setups and each one was rated at 400
cfm.  For further identification: the carburetor body is made of cast
iron, the secondaries are mechanically operated, the choke is automatic
but not electric - I guess that it is heat operated and there is a 1
1/16 cast between each set of ventures inside the carb (you see it when
you look inside.

Thanks.  If any body has a manual or book for this carb I would pay for
copying and postage.

Kevin Brown
Odessa, MO