[oletrucks] the smaller small blocks

To: "oletrucks list" <oletrucks@autox.team.net>
Subject: [oletrucks] the smaller small blocks
From: "Devin Timmons" <64bowtie@quik.com>
Date: Fri, 14 Feb 2003 18:44:26 -0800
here's my 2 cents.  I have the pieces to build a nasty little 283 sitting in
my shed, and my experience with them has been that they can really scream,
they like rpms.  I have built several 11 second 283s for friends and am
debating building one for my truck.  I hate 350s because everybody and their
brother has one and the 283 is appropriate for my '57.  At this point I have
collected a standard bore core block and a set of pistons that will yeild 11:1
compression with 64cc heads.  I plan on using World Products Torquer 305
heads, as the ports are the same as the bigger motors and the valves will
clear the cylinder walls.  The chambers are 58cc, so the compression will
likely be somewhere around 12:1.  Great for those quick runs to the dump.  I
think it will also work well with the factory low gears.