[oletrucks] Bed Shortening Problem....

To: oletrucks <oletrucks@autox.team.net>
Subject: [oletrucks] Bed Shortening Problem....
From: Ryan Sain <rsain@gte.net>
Date: Mon, 03 Mar 2003 09:15:08 -0800
Hi all,

We're talking about a 59 Apache Stepside (was long bed) here.

The PO had started work on this truck and then decided to sell it. I think I
may have figured out why.

In an attempt to shorten it from a long bed to a short bed he made some
cuts. They first chopped a section off the FRONT of the bed (near the cab)
and then proceeded to cut the same length of material off the BACK of the
frame.

If I'm thinking correctly (and I may not be), That would mean that the
distance from the cab to the wheel wells (on the bed) was shortened, but the
distance from the cab to the wheels was not. I suspect that in turn this
will create an issue when fitting the wells. They should not be centered
over the wheel anymore.

Big OOOOOPPPPPSSSSS!

If I'm correct to this point, read on - if not, please correct me.

So, to remedy this situation, I would need to cut a section out of the
center of the frame that is the same distance that the bed was shortened and
then weld that same piece on to the end of the frame. That would make the
wells and wheels line up. Hopefully.

Perplexed in Pullman,

- Ryan Sain