Re: [oletrucks] Off topic: 98 Chev antifreeze leak

To: oletrucks@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: [oletrucks] Off topic: 98 Chev antifreeze leak
From: Bruce Kettunen <bekett@uslink.net>
Date: Sun, 9 Mar 2003 21:04:31 -0600
This is a very common problem with the 5.7l (350) Vortecs.  Chevy
screwed up and overtorqued the inlet manifold bolts and the gasket
crushes and starts leaking.  The cure is to replace the inlet manifold
gasket.

Check out this forum for Suburban information equal to what this
board has for the old trucks:

http://forums.vmag.com/suvsuburban0103/

Bruce K
57 3200
96 K1500 Burb
Mt. Iron, MN

At Saturday, 8 March 2003, you wrote:

>I am having a problem with my 1998 Chev Suburban 2WD, with a 350
Vortec. It
>is leaving a small puddle (maybe a tablespoon each time it is parked)
of
>antifreeze on the garage floor. The antifreeze is coming from the
passenger
>side of the engine and is dripping from the skid plate on the cross
member
>and the right side of the pan, right back to the bell housing shows
signs of
>antifreeze dripping.
>
>I have crawled underneath and I believe confirmed the following things;
>
>-antifreeze is not coming for a loose hose, as all hoses do not
have any
>sign of antifreeze residue. In my climate of cold temperatures,
-30 to -45,
>hoses will sometimes shrink and a small amount of antifreeze will
leak out.
>-block heater is not leaking
>-frost plug behind the starter is not leaking. Yes, I took the starter
off
>and looked.
>-driver side drain plug is not leaking
>
>The antifreeze is showing up on the passenger side of the block.
That is why