[oletrucks] Need GMC 270 overhaul advice...

To: "Oletrucks" <oletrucks@autox.team.net>
Subject: [oletrucks] Need GMC 270 overhaul advice...
From: "Greg O. Pace" <59gmc@bigriverbroadcasting.com>
Date: Mon, 17 Mar 2003 22:18:15 -0600
Hey everybody...

I need some advice.  I'm at the next phase of restoration of my '59 GMC
1/2T.  Right now, I have a rolling chassis/drive train in the garage.

I'm debating myself over how to handle the 270 engine.  It's got about 100k
on it and was running well when the truck was stored.  I'm good with hand
tools, understand how the engine works, and have a manual.  Should I tackle
the overhaul myself?  What kind of machine work can I expect to need?  What
hard parts would I expect to have to replace.  Are there any special
tools/jigs?  Would you go for hardened valve seats?

The truck will be basically a stock weekend driver.  Thanks for the advice!

GOP