Re: [oletrucks] Replacement rear for '49 3600

To: oletrucks@autox.team.net, JohnHuntD@aol.com
Subject: Re: [oletrucks] Replacement rear for '49 3600
From: kevin.s.brown@gm.com
Date: Tue, 18 Mar 2003 11:15:35 -0600
John,

I've got a '51 3100 that has what I think is an early '70s or maybe 60s GM
pickup front and rear suspension installed.  Its got 6 bolt lugs all the
way around, GM truck 12 bolt rear axle and leaf springs, independent front
suspension and coil springs.  Here is a link to the pictures that I posted
when I brought it home: http://home.sprintmail.com/~mgtrautoxr/index.html
It is the red truck.  As you can see the rear wheels fit fine, the fronts
maybe stick out an extra inch - they probably could have addressed that
with wheel backspacing.  The new front cross member, complete with all the
suspension, is just welded and bolted to the existing 3100 frame.  The
steering wheel and column have been replaced with an 80s Camaro tilt unit
and a couple of extra steering column U joints installed to clear the
motor.  V8 motor mounts have also been welded to the existing AD frame for
an sbc engine.  If my lift ever arrives I'll put the truck up and shoot a
few pictures of it.

Kevin

                      JohnHuntD@aol.com

                      Sent by:                   To:       varanus@phoenix.net,
oletrucks@autox.team.net
                      owner-oletrucks@aut        cc:

                      ox.team.net                Subject:  Re: [oletrucks]
Replacement rear for '49 3600

                      03/18/2003 09:44 AM

                      Please respond to

                      JohnHuntD

Hi Eric,

Many thanks for your reply and good information.

Your last option really interests me, namely swapping the complete chassis
from my 1949 3/4 ton longbed for a later model. It seems to me this is the
smart way to go about updating an old truck and ending up with a truck with

modern independent front suspension and disc brakes, a modern rear end, a
late V8 and matching transmission and drivetrain, etc., ALL OF WHICH WAS
ENGINEERED AND PUT TOGETHER BY GM rather than a backyard mix and match and
"hope-I-got-everything-aligned-right-before-I- welded-it-together".

I've tried several times without success to get information on what later
pickup chassis would fit under a 1949 3/4 ton longbed without major
surgery.
I've done a lot of engine swaps and frame modifications so I'm not put off
by
the work involved, but I'd really like to know more about what is involved
about mounting an early Chevy truck on a later chassis, and what later
chassis makes the best fit. I've heard some people say an S-10 chassis is a

better fit than an early full-sixe pickup, but again I haven't been able to

get any 'hard' information on swapping the '49 body and bed onto a later
model chassis. I'd really appreicate any information and recommendations on

this. If you'd be willing, I'd welcome a collect call from you to discuss
this at 410-825-0108.

Thank you in advance.

John Doak in Baltimore, MD