Re: [oletrucks] Got my truck

To: oletrucks@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: [oletrucks] Got my truck
From: Bruce Kettunen <bekett@uslink.net>
Date: Tue, 18 Mar 2003 20:24:42 -0600
Sounds like a plan except for one thing.  You should have a small
valve under the cab to shut the gas off at the tank.  Shut this off
before unbolting any fuel lines to keep the gas in the tank from
running out.

I'm not that familiar with your model truck, mine is much newer and
a lot of things are different.

Also, get a factory service manual, reprinted copies are available
from the old truck parts vendors for about 20 to 25 dollars.  This
will explain the job in detail.  You will refer to this manual constantly
as you learn to work on your truck.

Remember that until the day you take it out on the road under its
own power, the best part of owning one of these is when you first
bring it home.

Bruce K
57 3200
Mt. Iron, MN

At Tuesday, 18 March 2003, you wrote:

>Hi Everyone,
>I just wanted to tell everyone that I have finally gotten my truck.
Thanks to
>all the trailering advice from everyone, the trip from Colorado
to Victoria,
>Texas was fairly uneventful, with the exception of a blown tire
7 miles into
>the trip. The tire was rotten (as was another one) and it took me
15 hours to
>get U-haul to get their butts in gear and get it fixed and back
on the road.
>They did refund me all but $100 of the hotel cost and rental fee,
so on the
>way home (bored) I calculated they paid me $24.00 plus some change
for my
>headaches and trouble. I'll take it!
>Anyway, I'm the proud new owner of a 53 Chevrolet 1/2 ton with a
235 engine
>in it. Has no rust anywhere except for a pencil eraser sized hole
in the
>bottom of the front right fender. Has a lot of little dents and
creases which
>I imagine I am going to pay out the nose to fix at the body shop,
but I am
>very pleased and happy with my purchase. Seeing that thing sitting
outside
>the house never fails to bring a big smile to my face!
>The fuel filter isn't working (shooting gas out of the oil breather
tube) and
>I plan to either buy a rebuild kit and rebuild it or buy a new one
with the
>glass dome (like the current one) and replace it. Here are my instructions

>per my dad:
>Any suggestions or additions are gratefully welcomed! Feel free
to laugh at
>my non-mechanical terms :-)
>Buy a rebuild kit (any suggestions?)
> Take TWO wrenches and hold them and loosen where it connects to
the tubes
>coming out of the engine on both sides so I don't twist the tubes. Take
>off  the screws where it connects to the engine block.  Remove it
from the
>engine block and clean and scrape where it was on the engine block.
Take the