Re: [oletrucks] Wiring question

To: oletrucks@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: [oletrucks] Wiring question
From: Bruce Kettunen <bekett@uslink.net>
Date: Sun, 23 Mar 2003 22:20:40 -0600
It is hooked up correctly.  It makes no difference where the No.
2 wire is hooked up to the Bat terminal, at the alternator or somewhere
else along the wire to the battery.  This wire is the voltage reference
for the internal regulator.

The No. 1 wire is hooked to the hot side of the ballast resistor.
This is supposed to be hooked to something that gets power from
the ignition switch and I guess that does.  This wire tells the alternator
when to try to start charging.  Once alternator RPM gets high enough,
it starts charging.

The bat terminal can be hooked direct to the + of the battery or
through the ammeter.

You have what is called a GM 2 wire alternator, the first version
of the internally regulated alternator.  It is called two wire because
it needs that connection to power from the ignition switch to start
it.

Newer alternators are called one wire.  These literally need only
the BAT terminal connected.

I have this kind of alternator on my truck.

Bruce K
57 3200
Mt. Iron, MN