[oletrucks] Speedometer question

To: oletrucks@autox.team.net, old-chevy-truck@yahoogroups.com
Subject: [oletrucks] Speedometer question
From: JohnHuntD@aol.com
Date: Thu, 27 Mar 2003 23:37:29 EST
I recently purchased from Chevy Duty a Gauge Decal Kit for my 1949 Chevy 3/4
ton pickup. (I was delighted that what they sent me was a sheet of very easy
to install adhesive-backed gauge faces as opposed to the water-related
"decals" I used to put on plastic model airplane kits with generally
miserable results.)

Printed on the sheet of new gauge faces Chevy Duty sent me were the words
"For 1947-49 Chevrolet". The replacement speedometer gauge face reads from
zero to 80 MPH, and has a whole in the bottom (at the 6 o'clock position) for
the high beam indicator light.

When I pulled the old speedometer out of the truck I noticed it read from
zero to 90 MPH, and the high beam indicator light was at the top (12 o'clock
position). I've had the truck just a little over a year, and in driving it
around the neighborhood my impression is the actual road speed is
considerably less than what the speedometer indicates. Quite possibly a
previous owner of this truck replaced the original speedo with something out
of another Chevy vehicle.

This is clearly not a big deal, but I'd appreciate an e-mail from anyone who
can tell me what the original 49 3/4 ton pickup speedometer looks like: 0 -
80 MPH with high beam indicator at 6 o'clock, or 0-90 MPH with high beam
indicator at 12 o'clock?

Thank you in advance.

John Doak in Baltimore, MD