Re: [oletrucks] Busted frame ;-(

To: oletrucks@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: [oletrucks] Busted frame ;-(
From: ke6bnl@juno.com
Date: Tue, 1 Apr 2003 13:57:13 -0800
I do not have any suggestions on how to know if the welds will hold, the
problem with mig welding if they are migged is that they can look real
nice but have no penetration, and the other problem is that some people
like to grind the weld so clean looking that they lose some integrity.  I
guess you could just keep an eye on them or you could clean up the welds
to bare metal and have someone with welding skill go over the weld to
allow you to relax and enjoy the ride.  Good luck Ed ke6bnl So. Calif.

On Tue, 1 Apr 2003 09:12:10 -0600 (GMT) Ryan Border
<rborder@earthlink.net> writes:
> Long time no update.
>
> In a nutshell, I and my previous employer parted ways
> last fall, putting a pretty severe restriction on my
> project spending.  So, the truck has sat idle, with only
> a little tinkering here and there since September.
>
> However, a new job was found, and I'm looking forwards to
> getting going on it again.  The change necessitated a move:
> I'm now in/near Wichita, KS (any ole-truckers nearby?).  The
> truck arrived here yesterday; but to my dismay it arrived with
> a break on the frame.
>
> The right-side Mustang-II spring mount decided to partially
> separate from the frame rail.  It was welded to the top and
> side of the rail; the welds on the side broke.  Under the force
> of the spring, it bent up, twisting inwards (still attached to
> the top of the frame) bending the top flange of the frame
> with it.  At first, I thought I just had a flat air-spring.
>
> Sigh.
>
> I can't be too upset- I'm much happier to see this break happen
> while the truck is getting bounced around in a trailer than
> while I'm driving it around a corner at 70mph.  And, no mater
> what he did, the trucking company should not have been able to
> break the weld; it's simply a bad weld.  I haven't gotten in
> deep enough to really look at it, but I suspect a lack of
> penetration of the weld into the frame rail.
>
> My REAL worry is the rest of the welds.  The mustangII mounts
> were welded in when I bought this frame- along with some other
> mods.  I'm now wondering how I can check the rest of the welding
> work that was done before I owned it... or if there's some way
> to go back over them all (at least the critical ones) to ensure
> they're OK (somebody suggested a tig-torch).
>
> Cheers-
> Ryan.
> rborder@earthlink.net
> http://home.earthlink.net/~rborder/truck
> 1959

   Ed     ke6bnl@juno.com                     ( 1950 f1 & 1963econo pu

      Agua Dulce Ca.    91390                    70 chevy S/B)  1948 Ford
F3
      So.   Calif. 70 mil N.Eof Los Angeles   1953 Chevy pu 3100)