Re: [oletrucks] Auto carrier info for Leslie Kester

To: rsain@gte.net
Subject: Re: [oletrucks] Auto carrier info for Leslie Kester
From: BLUCHEETAH@aol.com
Date: Wed, 2 Apr 2003 11:56:29 EST
In a message dated 4/2/2003 10:35:12 AM Central Standard Time, rsain@gte.net
writes:

> Of course you can always tow it. It's 846.2 miles from Fargo to Fayetteville
> - according to yahoo maps it will take you just over 13 hours. If you got
> 15mpg it and gas costs 1.79, it will cost you just over $100.
>
> - Ryan

Hi Ryan,
I hate to contradict you, but I have found out personally that "towing it
yourself" is not as simple as the idea and the cost isn't always just the gas
money.  You have to consider things like whether or not the truck is in good
enough shape to roll behind your vehicle if you are just going to hook it up
to a tow bar or even a tow dolly. Things like bearings go out, old tires blow
out, etc. if it's rolling on it's own, Then if you want to save wear and tear
to your old truck, you have to rent or get ahold of a car trailer. Okay, call
U-haul, BUT then you have to think about whether your tow vehicle will tow a
car trailer with approximately 3500 lbs on it.
My trip from Colorado to South Texas cost borrowing my dad and his truck,
renting  a car trailer from u-haul (would have been $450 if not for the
disaster), 1 week of off work time for my dad, plus the $200 in gas and 5
nights $230 of hotel.  The disaster was one of the wheels of the trailer blew
out 7 miles into the trip and we had to leave the trailer on the side of the
road and rent a hotel overnight until the U-haul "24 hour emergency help
service.....snort" came out at their own convenience.  The 15 hours lost time
and other misc. problems ensuing gave me a $350 refund on my trailer rental.
Total cost of towing it myself: $1950.00, wear and tear on my tow vehicle and
if not for the disaster, it would have cost $2350.00.
Susan B.