[oletrucks] Corvette IFS vs. Mustang

To: yahoo-groups@ez15loan.com, oletrucks@autox.team.net
Subject: [oletrucks] Corvette IFS vs. Mustang
From: JohnHuntD@aol.com
Date: Mon, 7 Apr 2003 13:25:30 EDT
In a message dated 4/7/03 11:29:45 AM, yahoo-groups@ez15loan.com writes:

<< Just curious, but what's the overall difference between a corvette
suspension verse, such as, a mustang II suspension?  I was curious because
I'm eventually going to get a new frame for my 53, as mine is badly
damaged and bent by the PO.  The place I plan on getting the frame from
charges more for a corvette suspension than the mustang II.

--
Thanks,
Jon

Hi Jon,

I can only comment on the Mustang IFS from pictures I've seen of it, but it
appears to me the Corvette IRS is different in the same way that a stock
Corvette is much more technolgically advanced and performance-oriented than a
stock Mustang, and is priced accordingly. The Corvette suspension arms are
beautifully forged light-weight aluminum pieces vs. the stamped steel
suspension arms of the Mustang; the Corvette brakes rotors and calipers are
much bigger and beefier; the Corvette IFS uses a transverse single leaf
composite spring compared to the steel coil springs of the Mustang. In short,
the Corvette forged aluminum IFS and brakes are impressive looking and close
to state-of-the-art for a production car, and for a gearhead like me, that is
very appealing.

Also my 1988 Corvette front brakes are designed and equipped for anti-lock
braking, and if I ever figure out how to do it without spending a fortune, at
some future date I'd like to install the anti-lock braking hardware and
software. For a pickup truck with a heavy front-end weight bias, that seems
to me to be a very good thing to have.

The Corvette IFS is attached to a bolt-on crossmember, such that when you
attach the crossmember to the frame, all the suspension pickup points,
located brackets for the steering rack, etc. are in place and properly
aligned.

My choice is for Corvette pieces wherever possible since what goes into the
Corvette  generally represents GM's most advanced engineering and
development. And from owning in the past 20 years two Mercedes, four BMW's,
two Porsches, and three Corvettes, I'm firmly convinced that GM's engineering
capabilities compare favorably with the best of Germany when the GM
bean-counters don't force the engineers to cut corners.

One man's opinion.

John Doak in Baltimore, MD