Re: [oletrucks] Still thinking about parts truck...

To: steve@OldSub.com
Subject: Re: [oletrucks] Still thinking about parts truck...
From: Spinningroach@aol.com
Date: Thu, 10 Apr 2003 09:58:52 EDT
Dans un e-mail dati du 10/04/2003 06:31:12 Paris, Madrid (heure d'iti),
steve@OldSub.com a icrit :

> I know fiberglass repair doesn't last because it doesn't stop the rust.  I
> know someone with some beautiful cars that have lots of 'glass and which
> make
> me cringe when I see them.  I'm curious, does anyone have any long
> experience
> with the POR15 approach?  Does it really work?  Is it less work than
> replacing
> steel, or simply a different skill set?  It appears easier to do, but
> somehow
> I'm not convinced its a good idea.
>
> It seems to me that if POR15 really stops corrosion this should be
> workable.
> I'm skeptical.  Does anyone have experience with it of a decade or more?

Steve,

about 20 years ago I "fixed" the bottom of the doors of '54 Citrokn (my 2nd
car!) using a product called Frameto, available in Europe, which is the
equivalent of POR15. I brush wired as much rust off of the doors as I could,
then applied some Frameto, then covered the holes with fiberglass (about a
6x25 inches long patch!). Well, it did not look really good, as I really had
no experience with fiberglass, and almost no tools, but I saw the car the
other day... and it looks exactly the same as 20 years ago : no new holes,
nothing. (the rest of the car did get some rust, though, but not the panels I
worked upon!).

Hope you get some additional comments on this topic to help you make up your
mind! JP