Re: [oletrucks] ford rear axles.

To: oletrucks@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: [oletrucks] ford rear axles.
From: Keith Durand <kdurand@MIT.EDU>
Date: Fri, 18 Apr 2003 01:27:51 -0400
I picked up a Chrysler 8 3/4 at a swap meet for 100 bucks. It was
already the right width, at something like 61.5. It had good drums and
gears, though they were 2.93:1. I bought a set of 3.55 gears for 100 at
another swap meet, and I replaced all of the brake stuff as well as the
gaskets and seals.

I was already running dual pattern 5 bolt wheels, so that wasn't an
issue.

For my money, I couldn't have done better. I got pressed on bearings, no
C clips, big brakes, proper track width, a good ratio, a brake rebuild,
and strength comparable to a 9" for what people charge for a used 9".

Keith