Re: [oletrucks] starter - flywheel problems

To: oletrucks@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: [oletrucks] starter - flywheel problems
From: Edward Miller <edngael@open.org>
Date: Sun, 18 May 2003 20:19:12 -0700
Hi Steve,

Dunno about the filing the teeth, but you could probably get the fly
wheel off by removing the tranny and clutch (if you have a manual
tranny, don't think you said).

Is the starter in far enough?  I've never had to deal with it, but some
starters on some vehicles need shims and stuff to make sure the starter
gear extends the right distance into the bell housing to engage the fly
wheel teeth correctly.  Sorry, I don't know how to check that, but it's
something else to think about.

Good luck,
Ed Miller
'58 Apache Short Fleetside

Good morning, my original 53 GMC truck has on occasion not started right
up
but grinds the starter drive gear on the flywheel....its a horrible
sound
especially at a car show,  its embearasing.so this weekend i took out
the
starter and tried a different starter...with  the same results...the
drive
gear  kinda hangs up on the flywheel sometimes and if you push harder it
will
just grind gears..if i go turn the fan & belt a bit it will usually
engage
properly...i put on a weaker pedal return spring so i have a better feel
if
its engaged or not....can i take off the bottom flywheel cover and file
the
flywheel teeth to try to clean up the mating area.the flywheel teeth
have
quite a bit of chewing done to the face side .......or can the flywheel
be
changed with out removing the engine.....the teeth on the starter look
good.....any better ideas?.....thanks Steve