[oletrucks] re starter /flywheel problems

To: oletrucks@autox.team.net
Subject: [oletrucks] re starter /flywheel problems
From: TOUCANMAN@aol.com
Date: Mon, 26 May 2003 10:09:52 EDT
In a message dated 5/20/03 6:40:06 AM Pacific Daylight Time,
ocradicic@hotmail.com writes:

> Sounds as though you may have a ring gear that is worn or deteriorated.
> Generally the ring gear will engage in the same area and that wears the
> teeth down causing the starter not to engage over the years.

Hello,this is the case here, i have a neighbor who owns a starter/alternator
shop,he just rebuilt the starter for me for 50 bucks .he says he put in a
rebuilt armature and bendix...but the flywheel ringgear can only be replaced
by
removing the flywheel.i wasn't sure if this was possible with the motor in the
truck...but i have been told by a few sources yes its possible.....so that is
the next step..but it sounds like work....ill keep ya all posted....thanks
Steve