Re: [oletrucks] 1998 Chevy Recall - Off Topic

To: "Ryan Langford" <rlangford@attbi.com>,
Subject: Re: [oletrucks] 1998 Chevy Recall - Off Topic
From: dcvjrv@covad.net
Date: Wed, 28 May 2003 05:23:01 -0400
I have found the best way to avoid most of these problems is to just
recycle the complete vehicle every 2 years.  I haven't had any problems to
speak of in doing this for the last 20 years. :>)

Jim V.
'03 Silverado

At 02:40 AM 5/28/03 Wednesday, Ryan Langford wrote:
>Well, I'll second Bruce, the newer Chevies are powerful, but
>they have problems.  As for the tranny, now a days, automatics
>that last over 100K is kinda rare.  Blame it on our disposible
>society, but most of the modern trannies just don't last.  Not even
>the "100K guaranteed" trannies that many manufactures are
>toting will come close to making it to that bench mark.
>
>You can rebuild it for an outrageous price, or you can
>put in a used one (assuming you aren't planning to do the
>labor yourself....)  Its usually by far more economical to
>go with a used one.  Many junk yards even offer warranties (!!)
>with their used trannies.  I did one under an insurance deal
>a week ago, where the junk yard came with a 7 year/70K mile
>warranty!!  And this was on a Jeep tranny that failed at 18K miles!
>Even as the mechanic, I don't see how you could argue that....
>think the junk yard charged $500.  Would have been multiple
>thousands to get the old one rebuilt.
>
>As for the injector problem, you didn't list any details, but
>the Vortex had problem with their spider injector set ups,
>and they were real smart to form them into the plastic intake.
>Without knowing the symptoms, I won't make too many guesses,
>but I've had to replace a couple of these....they fail, and they
>are spendy.
>
>Replacing filters based off of the amount of gas you put in
>the rig isn't a very good way of judging it.  These are open-looped
>fueled injection systems, so no matter how much or how
>little you use the gas, the gas is being cycled through the
>filter and pump constantly.  More often is better than not enough.
>I usually suggest every 30K miles, which is quite a bit different
>than most manuals.  I pretty much ignore the manual on this
>and several other subjects.  But thats a whole nother subject....
>
>Ryan
>rlangford@attbi.com

Jim V.
1958 GMC Suburban Carrier Pickup (Cameo style) - V8 Hydramatic
http://www.angelfire.lycos.com/mi2/jrvvehicles
dcvjrv@covad.net