Re: [oletrucks] RE: What is Hot?

To: wroworth@tampabay.rr.com, oletrucks@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: [oletrucks] RE: What is Hot?
From: Ie61pah@aol.com
Date: Thu, 19 Jun 2003 12:25:45 EDT
 Wayne,
 Glad to hear your "hot problem" is getting better. But before you hook up
the trailer and head out on a trip, I think you have some more work to do. 90
degrees is not that hot, and should not be affecting the temp in your truck
that
much under normal driving. 205 water temp would be closer to normal if you
had the air running and were pulling the trailer and pushing a head wind.
 Older engines were not made to run with the high temps that the newer
engines run at. 180 to 190 degrees should be the normal range for an older
small
block. With a harder pull they will climb to a little over 200 degrees, but at
210, I would start to worry, and at 220 to 230 I would be shutting it off to
see
what's wrong.
 "IN MY OPINION" you should install a 180 degree thermostat, and keep the
temp below 200 under normal driving. You may still need to install a new
radiator, if yours can't flow enough to keep it cool.
 If you want to keep that engine around for a long time, you really need to
fix it before you do a lot of pulling with the ol-truck. Good Luck,

Patrick A. Hollister '58 step
West Burlington, IA.