[oletrucks] 6 lug to 5 lug

To: Old Trucks List <oletrucks@autox.team.net>
Subject: [oletrucks] 6 lug to 5 lug
From: J Forbes <jforbes2@mindspring.com>
Date: Fri, 25 Jul 2003 14:44:32 -0700
> Date: Thu, 24 Jul 2003 19:50:06 -0500
> From: Bruce Kettunen <bekett@uslink.net>
> Subject: Re: [oletrucks] 1968 C-10 rear end and 72 Engine
>
> I just happen to have a 71 GMC 1500-3500 factory service manual from
> my dad's old truck.
>
> In 1971, it states that all GMC's in this series had disk brakes
> in front.  Though I can't confirm it specifically, all of the front
> brake pictures show five lugs.  All the rear brake pictures show
> six lugs.  Go figure.  Don't know if GMC's and Chevy's were the same
> in these years.

The deal is that the 2 wheel drive pickups went to 5 lug wheels and
front disk brakes in 1971.  The 4x4s also went to disk brakes, but kept
the 6 lug pattern.

I expect the rear brake pictures in the 71 manaul show 6 lug axles
because there was no reason to change the pictures just because the
number of wheel studs changed...the rear brake service methods stayed
the same.

--
Jim

Visit the Selectric Typewriter Museum!