Re: [Re: [oletrucks] Optima Battery?]

Subject: Re: [Re: [oletrucks] Optima Battery?]
From: Scot Stockton <auriclux@usa.net>
Date: Wed, 30 Jul 2003 06:32:10 -0700
I've an Optima in my '59.  It's sealed, so I won't get a leak.  In fact, I
believe that the electrolyte is a gel, so that the thing can get punctured,
still not leak, and may even operate.  I know that the inherent deep cycle
capability is useful if you winch something or do a field weld with cables and
coat hangers.  I also know that the Optima does well if you forget to
disconnect the cable and let it sit in the truck for three, three-and-a-half
months.  It started a low compression big-block as if it were run yesterday.

I've an optima in my '39 Tudor sedan with it's high compression big-block,
electric fans and high draw electric everything.  It survives where other
batteries died in a month.  The local Sears battery department got to know me
too well back then.  I may have been the reason that they modified they're
guarantee wording.

My daily driver, two tons of car with a moderate compression big block does
just fine with a Sears battery.

I think the point of my ramble is that Optima's are good for heavy duty
applications, but may be overkill for a mild ride.  Have you thought about
having a local metal bender put together a nifty battery cover?