[oletrucks] Re: 454>TF

To: Old Trucks List <oletrucks@autox.team.net>
Subject: [oletrucks] Re: 454>TF
From: J Forbes <jforbes2@mindspring.com>
Date: Sat, 30 Aug 2003 22:41:37 -0700
> Date: Sat, 30 Aug 2003 21:15:53 -0700
> From: mark <ccpanel@jps.net>
> Subject: [oletrucks] 454>TF
>
> who among you brillinat men and women have installed a BBC into a 55-6 or
> similar(TF) truck without moving the stock steering column or trans?
> mark
> details?

When I first swapped the 396 into my 59, back when I was 17, I kept the
stock tranny, and the drivers side manifold rubbed on the steering box.
  Eventually I got it to clear, using Hedman headers (68-87 pickup long
style), and moved the engine towards the passenger side a smidgen, and
went to an automatic tranny.  It's a pain having the crossmember under
where the bellhousing used to be, I can only remove the tranny by
removing the engine.  But it does fit. (you can cut out the crossmember
if you really want to)

In my other 59 truck, I have the generic "block hugger" style headers,
and I needed to move the engine the same amount as with the long headers
to keep from hitting the steering.  This truck has an automatic tranny also.

So, you may discover that you cannot easily keep the original
bellhousing and not have exhaust/steering interference.  But you might
be able to use a manual tranny with a rear mount, such as used in
73-newer trucks, and the 60s/70s car type bellhousing (no behlhousing
mounts).  I personally have no desire to shift gears, so I've never
bothered to get it all working well with a big block and a manual tranny.

--
Jim

Visit the Selectric Typewriter Museum!
http://www.mindspring.com/~jforbes2