Re: [oletrucks] Cab corners and cab cracks

To: rsain@gte.net
Subject: Re: [oletrucks] Cab corners and cab cracks
From: ke6bnl@juno.com
Date: Fri, 5 Sep 2003 15:44:56 -0700
I like all the work you have done.  I have put a mustang II in my truck
and put a 9" rearend in my truck so I appreciate the work, but I have not
made my own frame.  I would gas weld and hammer the weld the metal tear
if you have access to the rear of the panel.  I like that if it is not
structural, I think if it stressed or other parts rely on the material I
would be building it up with spot mig welding and grinding flat.  I have
been able to insert some 2 in patches where someone had some lights on
the fenders with hammer welding after gas welding the but welded opening
with little to no need for filler.  Keep us up on the project it is
interesting.  Ed ke6bnl

On Fri, 05 Sep 2003 09:33:24 -0700 Ryan Sain <rsain@gte.net> writes:
> Progress!
>
> http://www.wsu.edu/~rsain/apache.html
>
> Cab just got back from the sand blaster and I'm very pleased!
> However, there
> are a couple of issues. If you go to the above address there are
> pics of the
> cab corners. I'm wondering if I should repair or replace these. If I
> should
> replace - where is the best place to purchase them from? I've been
> warned
> that all patch panels are NOT created equal.
>
> The second problem manifests as 3 cracks in the back of the cab -
> one
> picture on the above site (click to expand the image) shows a
> typical crack.
> They are about 1.5" long. I figure I should weld them in - lowest
> temp, spot
> weld (one at a time, so it doesn't get too hot and warp). Do you
> agree?
>
> Thanks for your help!
>
> - Ryan
> 1959

   Ed     ke6bnl@juno.com                     ( 1950 f1 & 1963econo pu

      Agua Dulce Ca.    91390                    70 chevy S/B)  1948 Ford
F3
      So.   Calif. 70 mil N.Eof Los Angeles   1953 Chevy pu 3100)