RE: [oletrucks] 58 Pick-em-up

To: <oletrucks@autox.team.net>,
Subject: RE: [oletrucks] 58 Pick-em-up
From: "Tom Warner" <twwood@bellsouth.net>
Date: Sat, 20 Sep 2003 19:37:29 -0400
348's were built from 1957- on, but they were only put into large trucks. in
about 1961, we put a 348 in my freind's 56 TF. The passenger cars started
getting them as an option in 1958, and were Hi performance mostly. The one
we put in the 56, was originally a truck engine with LOW compression. if I
remember right, we used popup pistons that would in a passenger engine be
12-1,
in order to come up with about 9-1. remember the combustion chamber is in
the block, not the heads. in 1958-1963 (including the 409) they were faster
than most. I had a 36 ford coupe in 1960 with a 354 Chrysler Hemi that would
beat the 1960 Tri-Power 348's but they were running over 100 mph and dipping
into the 12's. ( many times on the approach to the San Mateo Bridge) for
anyone in the SF Bay Area.

Tom Warner
58 Short Fleetside
Florida's Treasure Coast