Re: [oletrucks] Old Tire Sizes

To: "Jim Wilkerson" <Jim.Wilkerson@sas.com>, <oletrucks@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [oletrucks] Old Tire Sizes
From: "Steve Hanberg" <steve@OldSub.com>
Date: Tue, 23 Sep 2003 09:39:47 -0700
Good question.  But you'll need to ask someone who carries a spare....

Radial tires are supposed to stay on one side of the vehicle.  I don't know
how you'd rotate the spare into that arrangement unless maybe you have the
tires dismounted and remounted every time you rotate the tires.  Or you
could rotate the spare with just one side, and get longer life out of that
side.

I have positrac for one of my trucks, but its not yet a driver, the axle
isn't under it, and I'm not planning to run the same size wheels or tires
front and rear.  I guess I need to think about a spare for that one.

My all-wheel drive Subaru has a space-saver spare.  I've never used it, and
hope I never do.

I actually don't carry a spare in my daily driver (AD Suburban).  That's
living on the edge, but when I converted to 5-lug wheels I didn't have a
wheel the right size that would fit the truck, and I've not done anything
about it....  I don't think I've ever had it more than 100 miles from home,
and most weeks it runs 20 miles round trip to and from work, and no further.
I don't like carrying a spare in the passenger compartment, and it currently
has a trailer hitch that eliminated the under neath spare carrier.  I plan
to remove the hitch and put a spare under there someday.

My backup truck has a spare that just lays in the bed, and is definitely not
the same size as the four on the ground, but it rarely gets far enough from
home that I'm worried about it.

I'm just full of worthless information today!