[oletrucks] Transmission Seals

To: oletrucks@autox.team.net, old-chevy-truck@yahoogroups.com
Subject: [oletrucks] Transmission Seals
From: Kenangler2@cs.com
Date: Tue, 7 Oct 2003 19:58:01 EDT
I've got a '50 chevy 3100 with a three speed tranny - column shift.  I've
pulled the transmission to replace the rear engine seal, etc.  Wondering if
there
are seals on these old transmissions that I need to replace before putting it
back into the truck?  The transmission shifted fine and did not leak prior to
dropping it.  Also, there is a cork gasket that fits between the rear of the
tranny and the universal joint torque tube.  I can't find that gasket but I
know I can easily make one.  The one that I'm questioning is the rubber o-ring
looking gasket that sits inside the tube up against the cover of the u-joint.
Any suggestions on were to get one of those?  Thanks a mil.

Ken