Re: [oletrucks] Old Panel Truck W/ 110 volt AC installed under

To: Tezzme2@aol.com, oletrucks@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: [oletrucks] Old Panel Truck W/ 110 volt AC installed under
From: Cadamsarch@aol.com
Date: Mon, 13 Oct 2003 13:33:29 EDT
Hello Steve,

J. C. Whitney, at:
http://www.jcwhitney.com/
sells a bunch of inverters to provide 110 volts a.c. from 12 volts d.c.  For
example, they advertise Tripp Lite Inverters from 140 Watt (about $30) to
1,800 Watt (about $380). They have other brands as well.

I haven't owned one, but have used one a contractor friend had.  He got it to
run Skill saws and such from his pickup. He sized the inverter to the amps
drawn by the saw when running. Unfortunately, the saw draws a lot more when
starting. Result: inverter didn't get the job done. (Maybe it would have worked
better if he had a Chevy Oletruck.)

Based on his experience, some things I'd think about (in addition to inverter
wattage) before dropping my own money on the counter:

Alternator size--make it big enough to charge the battery/batteries;

Battery/batteries--get enough capacity to do some work without discharging--I
think I'd go to a two battery system: nice to have a backup so I wouldn't
have to park on a hill to restart the engine in case I did discharge the
battery--I'd wire it like a boat, with a master switch to system A or B;

Ground fault circuit protection: I'd be working in wet boots on damp ground
enough to want the whole works to shut off if the ground wasn't protecting me
(in a house, ground is typically to a water pipe--I don't know if a ground
outside the vehicle is required with an inverter--anyone got this figured out?)

Regards, good luck, and let us know how it works out for you.

Culver Adams
1931 Chevy coupe
1931 Chevy 3100
---
In a message dated 10/13/03 11:00:18 AM Central Daylight Time,