Re: [oletrucks] Further adventures in rust removal

To: mark@noakes.com, oletrucks@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: [oletrucks] Further adventures in rust removal
From: Cadamsarch@aol.com
Date: Tue, 28 Oct 2003 12:07:11 EST
Hello OleTruckers,

Thanks, Mark, for spearheading the rust removal discussion: very interesting.

Stovebolt dot com     http://www.stovebolt.com/      has an article:
"Electrolytic Rust Removal: by Ted Kinsey. He presents an alternative to those
of us
contemplating driving our OleTrucks into the neighbor's pool, or the Gulf of
Mexico. (Is rust removal what the Coast Guard was attempting when they sunk the
Cuban Amphi-AD?)  He suggests using an electrolyte wetted sponge with a
backing electrode to clean spots on large objects or things that shouldn't be
submerged.

He also mentions (I suppose for those times when the power grid misbehaves)
using Coke-Cola to remove rust. Before dentists used stainless steel for
braces, did they gave Coke to patients to control rust?

Further info on hydrogen embrittlement (as it affects zinc plating) can be
found at:
     http://www.finishing.com/2200-2399/2278.html     .

It's not surprising your steering arms aren't made of hardened steel. I don't
know much about hardened steel, except, it is brittle. When it fails, it
fractures fast and dramatically--like my continually knocking  chips out of my
cold chisel's cutting edge. Mild steel is softer. It bends and mushrooms before
it fails, giving advance warning that it is time to repair or replace. I'd be
hard pressed to chip a mild steel 16 penny nail the way I chip my cold chisels,
unless it happens to be a really cold Minnesota winter day, when even Chevy
AD's won't start, and when a rubber band will shatter when dropped to the shop
floor. I don't know what steel is in steering arms, but I am happy it's not
hardened.

Regards, keep up the good work, and drink Coke for a rust-free mouth,

Culver Adams
1951 Chevy 3100, still above freezing in Minneapolis
---
In a message dated 10/27/03 9:28:51 PM Central Standard Time, mark@noakes.com