Re: [oletrucks] Welder needed.

To: oletrucks@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: [oletrucks] Welder needed.
From: Bruce Kettunen <bekett@uslink.net>
Date: Thu, 6 Nov 2003 15:07:40 -0600
If you have 220V available in your garage, think about a 220V gas/wire
feed (Mig) welder.  Miller makes a real good one.  This will give
you the range from thick structural metal to sheet metal.

Look for multiple heat settings and infinite wire speed.

110V for sheet metal works too, but it will be more difficult job
to weld thicker metal.  A second 220V stick welder could be used
here but doesn't do as nice a job.

I would still consider keeping a 220V stick welder like a Lincoln
"buzz box (looks like an old cathedral style radio) is a real good
general purpose stick welder.

One other thing I did that has been very handy is to make a 25 ft
220V extension cord.  I used industrial 8 guage rubber clad cable
and the appropriate ends.

I have never had any luck with flux core wire feed (no gas).  Others
may have different experiences.

The new auto darkening helmets are great.  Get one where the darkness
can be adjusted.  I have a Hobart solar helmet with adjustable darkness
and can't see myself ever going back to the old helmets.

All my humble opinion.

Bruce Kettunen
57 3200
Mt. Iron, MN