Re: [oletrucks] Welder needed.

To: oletrucks@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: [oletrucks] Welder needed.
From: "Bobby D Keeland" <bob_keeland@usgs.gov>
Date: Thu, 6 Nov 2003 17:20:04 -0600
Mark,

      A couple of years ago I was in the same situation you are now in.  I
ended up buying a small oxy-acetyline gas welding outfit from Lowes.  I
still don't know how to weld but have used the torch to cut a lot of things
from very old rusty bolts to some horrible welded on motor mounts and
spring perches on a rearend. The little unit I have is VERY portable and
quite useful (to the point that my dad has it most of the time). It would
not be good for production work because of the limited supply of oxygen and
acetyline, but for an occasional user like myself it is good enough.

      Some day I hope to take a welding class at the local vo-tech, but for
not I can at least cut or heat to loosen. Like Bruce said, don't  rule out
an oxy-acetyline gas welder.

BobK
51 3600 5-window (in pieces)
Arnaudville, LA

                      Bruce Kettunen

                      <bekett@uslink.net>        To:
oletrucks@autox.team.net
                      Sent by:                   cc:

                      owner-oletrucks@aut        Subject:  Re: [oletrucks]
Welder needed.
                      ox.team.net

                      11/06/2003 03:20 PM

                      Please respond to

                      Bruce Kettunen

One other thought on this, if your local high school or tech school
offers a night class on welding, take it.  The class here has a number
of different welders in the booths ranging from 110V stick welders
to some nice MIG welders for the students to try out.

Don't rule out oxy-acetyline gas welding too.  Slow, but extremely
controllable.  Give it a try.

Bruce Kettunen
57 3200
Mt. Iron, MN

At Thursday, 06 November 2003, you wrote:

>Mark
>a lot depends on the money you want to spend. for $1500 you have
a stick,
>tig, mig welder that your neighbors will envy. I bought a Lincoln
Weld Pac
>100 at Home Depot 3 yrs ago for $330, that I have been real happy with.
>www.mylincolnelectric.com/Catalog/equipmentdatasheet.asp?p=7106
>It's a 110Vwire feed, 30-100 AMP welder. I leave it set up on flux
core wire
>but it can easily be converted to MIG for $130. I like it for the
>portability, if thats not a concern, I would step up to the 220V
unit. Both
>can weld up to 1/4" (3/8" if you know how to weld). There is not
a 1/4"
>piece of metal on any truck I have owned. I used to be a pipe welder
years
>ago and thought you needed 300 amps @ 100% duty cycle to be a decent
welder.
>If your not production welding or putting up water towers, the smaller
>welders are easier to weld sheet metal with.
>My neighbors have stick welders, guess who does their welding. me.
>None of them will be any good if you don't know how to weld.
>Kurt
>58 Apache project
>59 3800 panel 4sale
>
>>From: "mark treutelaar" <phoneman@ticon.net>