Re: [oletrucks] AD Wheel Bearing Preload

To: "Mac Kinghorn" <kinghorn@granite.mb.ca>, oletrucks@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: [oletrucks] AD Wheel Bearing Preload
From: "Bob KNOTTS" <raknotts@qwest.net>
Date: Sun, 23 Nov 2003 15:24:12 -0700
----- Original Message -----
From: "Mac Kinghorn" <kinghorn@granite.mb.ca>
To: <oletrucks@autox.team.net>
Sent: Sunday, November 23, 2003 12:20 PM
Subject: [oletrucks] AD Wheel Bearing Preload

> BlankHi listees
>
> This topic has come up again and it is something that must be dealt with
> accordingly.  The wheel bearings on AD's are BALL bearings not tapered
rollers
> and cones.  Ball bearings must have a preload, unlike taper rollers.
Going by
> both may MOTORS manual and my 52 Chevrolet Service Manual the preload is
to be
> 33 ft. lbs.  Mine are set at this and have worked well for about 12,000
miles
> spread over about 10 years.  If you don't put on the preload you WILL have
> bearing problems and if you put on to much preload you WILL also have
> problems.
>
> Hope this helps and by the way it is about 0'F or -20'C here in south east
> Manitoba this morning.

             Yeh, it's pretty rough here in PHX too. 62.5 degrees. I haven't
had to use the air conditioner for two weeks now. But my relatives in
Tillamook Oregon tell me it's been running as low as 20. 20 degrees plus
LOTS of humidity (Tillamook is abt 5 miles in from the beach). But I'm
plotting how to get back up there for a visit.  Thanksgiving here, then jury
duty, then Christmas. This being retired is HARD work. Bob K in PHX, AZ.