[oletrucks] RE: [old-chevy-truck] LED bulbs

To: <old-chevy-truck@yahoogroups.com>, <60schevy@topica.com>,
Subject: [oletrucks] RE: [old-chevy-truck] LED bulbs
From: "S Schmidt" <sheldon@ssmachine.com>
Date: Mon, 23 Feb 2004 05:16:47 -0800
   Most older turn signal systems have a "flasher" unit which "turns on and
off" the current to the signal light bulbs, the timing of the on cycle is
controlled by a bi-metal strip that heats up with the current flow (the
current to the signal bulbs) and warps - opening a set of contacts...when it
cools it closes again.....(that's why when you hook up a trailer w/ lights &
signals the lights all blink faster)  the LED replacements will draw much
less current, and therefore not heat the bi-metal strip enough to open the
contacts, or at best the "on" cycle will be really long.....Hope that's not
a lot more info than you wanted!

Thanks,

  Sheldon Schmidt
  SS Machine Works, Inc.