[oletrucks] In defense of Steele Rubber Products

To: <oletrucks@autox.team.net>
Subject: [oletrucks] In defense of Steele Rubber Products
From: "Hanlon, Bill (ISS Houston)" <bill.hanlon@hp.com>
Date: Wed, 9 Jun 2004 17:07:32 -0500
Steele Rubber Products' prices may be higher on common items such as the
door seals for our trucks, but once you look at their catalog and see
the wide variety of stuff they make you might appreciate them more.

About 10 years ago (before eBay) the front motor mount on my everyday
driver 57 GMC V8 broke.  Calls to Chevy Duty, Heavy Chevy, etc. were met
with responses of "they don't make that part" and "try a junk yard".  Of
course the junk yard motor mount would probably be no better than the
broken one in my truck.

I call Steele and talked to their customer support people on a Monday
morning.  They said to mail them the old mount and they would fix it and
send it back.  I impressed on them that this was my daily driver and
that I would be depending on a friend for a ride to/from work while it
was out of service.  The Steele guy said he would put a rush on the job.

I sent the mount overnight delivery ($$$) and told Steele to send it
back the same way.  I had the refurbed mount back in my hands on Friday
afternoon, a two day turnaround at Steele.  The charge?  Something under
$35 not counting the airfreight.

Since then I have bought an NOS mount on eBay ($10 + shipping) that is
squirreled away in the garage waiting for the Steele overhauled mount to
fail.  When (if?) it does, I'll send it back to be rebuilt again.