[oletrucks] Re: oletrucks-digest V2 #2376----PS Pump Pulley

To: oletrucks@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: [oletrucks] Re: oletrucks-digest V2 #2376----PS Pump Pulley
From: Joe Way <joe@brakecylinder.com>
Date: Sun, 19 Dec 2004 07:29:22 -0800
On Sun, 19 Dec 2004 06:57:15 -0700, you wrote:

>From: "K Ohlgren" <kjohlgren@hotmail.com>
>Subject: [oletrucks] power steering pump
>
>I bought a junkyard power steering pump from an 80s chevy V8. needed the
>pulley & bracket and a core to exchange for a rebuilt pump. how does the
>pulley come off? it has a single v groove pulley, I assume it unscrews, but
>which dirrection? is the rusty hole in the center used for an allen wrench?
>if so this one is spinning a 3/8 allen wrench in there. might just take it
>back.
=================================
The pulley is pressed on. The best way to remove it is with a special
puller setup that grabs the groove on the hub of the pulley. The NAPA
store in our small town has one under the counter and does the pulley
swap right on the counter when someone buys a new pump.

The hole in the end of the pump shaft is threaded, and is used with
another part of the puller set to draw the pulley onto the new pump
shaft. This part can be duplicated with the right bolt and some
washers, but the puller part is hard to cobble up. Best to find the
right tool and avoid the risk of damaging the pulley.

Joe
--
Heather & Joe Way
Sierra Specialty Automotive