Re: [oletrucks] power steering conversion

To: <dannapa@comcast.net>, "oletruck" <oletrucks@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [oletrucks] power steering conversion
From: "Mike Sergesketter" <mserges@psci.net>
Date: Sun, 20 Feb 2005 10:58:54 -0500
My 57 3100 is still under construction, but I did go with power steering and
power brakes (still working on the brakes).  I bought a Toyota steering box
from a salvage yard for $125.  It was on a low mileage truck, and was in
excellent condition.  I bought the mounting bracket and linkage from
CPP...around $200 if I recall correctly.  The power steering pump is off a
75 silverado from a slavage yard for $15 and the hoses were custom made at
the local autoparts for around $35.  The CPP kit also came with a universal
joint for the steering column.  The column is from a 70 chevy van with
automatic on the column, and I got this through ebay for $75...new bearings
for the column, $20.  I don't have the column on yet because the cab is
still at the body shop.....I did fire up the truck to check out pump and
steering box after I got it installed....seems to work just fine.  I am also
going to upgrade the front bearings to the roller type.  I bought these from
Brothers when they were on sale for $100....

Thanks Mike