[oletrucks] re:I'm your local flaps now

To: <oletrucks@autox.team.net>
Subject: [oletrucks] re:I'm your local flaps now
From: "Devin Timmons" <hotrod64chevy@yahoo.com>
Date: Tue, 5 Apr 2005 21:30:49 -0700
First I want to say thanks to all for your congratulations.  I appreciate the
good people on here.  I figured I'd answer everybody's questions all in one
posting, some asked the same questions.  We are located in Fortuna, CA, 20
miles south of Eureka, 275 miles North of San Francisco.  Most people aren't
aware of this area unless you mention the redwoods.  We are part of the Auto
Value buying group, which is like being a Carquest or Napa without the big
name.  Our "generic" oil and air filters are made by Wix, our oil is
Valvoline,...etc.  My story is that I come from the other side of the parts
counter, most recently as a technician for foreign cars, but I've been turning
wrenches since I was big enough to steal the tools out of my dad's tool box
and take my toys apart.  I guess you could say that my favorites are Chevys
between 55-65, I've owned about 8 64s, still have my first, had an AD 55 1/2
ton, and been running with my 57 3100 for almost 3 years now.  I understand
that there are some parts stores who can't deal with you if you've ever
changed anything on your car, and with my background I can certainly
understand the frustrations of owning a modified vehicle and attempting to get
parts.  Today's computer systems are designed to work under those parameters.
The trick to get around that is knowledge.  The two guys I have working for me
have over 60 years combined experience.  knowing how to open a book and where
to look in it makes the difference between some kid that should be working at
a fast food restaurant and a good parts man.

On the subject of the fenders I asked about, I did run across an ad at Golden
State Pickup Parts today for what appears to be new front fenders, listed to
fit 55-57.  My understanding was that 57 front fenders are a bit different,
due to a dimple for the grille and a mount, but I haven't personally had them
side by side.  Just thought I'd pass on the info.

Devin