[oletrucks] Steering stops

To: "Oletrucks" <oletrucks@autox.team.net>
Subject: [oletrucks] Steering stops
From: "William Schickling" <wschick1@twcny.rr.com>
Date: Mon, 2 May 2005 22:19:40 -0400
The work on my front axle rebuild is going slower than Wayne's disc
brake upgrade. Only difference is I'm the reason it's going so slow
not some vendor. :)

I sent my front axle out to Mor-drop for a 2 1/2 inch drop. That went
ok, but the condition of the axle when it got back was a bit
surprising. The slag and crust left over from the heating and bending
process was a pain to clean up. I eventually gave up and had the axle
professionally sand-blasted.

While the axle was apart I decided to upgrade to Stainless Steel
Brake's Royal king pin set. A great piece of engineering, if it
actually fit. The kit replaces the bushing and king pin with roller
bearings and a special king pin made for the bearings. Great except
the holes in the spindles needed to be enlarged to allow the bearings
to go in. This is what has been taking so long. I tried to do this
myself. I should have just taken the axle and spindles to the machine
shop and asked to have it put together.

Well it is finally done and now with the bolts that hold the disc
brake brackets to the spindle (Sorry Wayne, I got my disc brake
upgrade from Jim Carter too, and no I didn't have the right parts
either) are hitting the axle because they have been bent from the drop.

All this to get to the subject of I need those little metal steering
stops that bolt on to the axle at the king pin locking pin. I tried a
couple of the vendors and they said it is just key stock, go buy some
and bend them yourself.

Ok, but I don't know how big they are.  Does anyone have a set they
would be willing to donate, sell, to me. I don't mind donating beer or
whatever money to anyone helping out.

Thanks,

Bill, will I ever have a front end again?, Schickling