RE: [oletrucks] 55 2nd hood fit problems

To: normd@metrocast.net, oletrucks@autox.team.net
Subject: RE: [oletrucks] 55 2nd hood fit problems
From: "Carl & Becky Ham" <the_hams@hotmail.com>
Date: Thu, 08 Sep 2005 09:01:18 -0500
Norm:
I had a similar problem recently on my '56.  Discovered the problem was the
firewall flexing where the hood hinges attach to it.  It as more noticeable
on the passenger side of the cab and after almost 50 years of use the
firewall metal was fatigued.  No matter how I tried to adjust the hood the
passenger side was higher (like yours, I could fix it by pushing down on the
hood after it was closed).

Installed a metal patch on the firewall that extends approximately 3 inches
on either side and below the hood bolt pattern on both sides.  This
strenghtened the area significantly and I was able to adjust the hood to
close without any problems.

I had earlier fabricated and installed a "fake" firewall cover to clean-up
the engine compartment (hiding all the wires that came through the
firewall), so the patches aren't visable.

Take a close look at the firewall while opening and closing the hood.  If
you observe the metal flexing in the hinge area you may want to reinforce
the firewall.

Hope this helps.  Good luck with finishing your truck.

Carl Ham
'56 Chevy Stepside Pickup
Hopewell, IL