Re: [oletrucks] Oil filter

To: Oletrucks <oletrucks@autox.team.net>,
Subject: Re: [oletrucks] Oil filter
From: The Botelers <boteler@olg.com>
Date: Thu, 15 Sep 2005 15:23:22 -0400
Scott,

I'm not sure what year Chevrolet add the full flow oil filter to the side of
the block, but I think it was 1960.  Before that there was an accessory oil
filter available that bolted to the intake manifold (2-quart capacity, I
think) and allowed a small percentage of the circulating oil to pass
through.  This system didn't guarantee all of your oil was filtered but was
believed to be better than nothing.  Some have argued that the add-on filter
robbed the engine of needed oil pressure and flow (I don't have any
experience on way or the other).

My older Chevrolet cars never had filters and as long as you change the oil
every 1500-2000 miles you are fine.

Hope that answers your question.

Mike Boteler
'56 4400 Stake