Re: [oletrucks] TF Deluxe Trim Clips

To: Oletrucks <oletrucks@autox.team.net>,
Subject: Re: [oletrucks] TF Deluxe Trim Clips
From: The Botelers <boteler@olg.com>
Date: Sun, 18 Sep 2005 00:26:45 -0400
Norm and ALL,

55-59 Deluxe Trim saga:

I ordered clips back in March from Chevy Duty in preparation of the pending
paint job on my fire truck.  Now that I'm ready to install the moldings I've
discovered their clips are all wrong.  They needed to be 5/8" and they sent
3/8" (which is the only clip they carry).  Their clips would almost work if
rotated 90 degrees, but then the molding wouldn't be centered correctly in
the hole.  I contacted them and they will give me "store credit" once they
get the clips back.

I called the Truck Shop and they pulled and described their clip and it's
the same as Chevy Duty's.

I sent an original to Restoration Specialties and they don't have a match
(they knew exactly what it fit as soon as they saw it).

I called and got the molding clips from the Filling Station and they are not
correct.  The description over the phone sounded promising as they said they
were 5/8" square.  They slide into the trim ok, but the wire gauge is bigger
(1.9mm vs. 1.4mm) than the original and when you push them into the hole
they buckle outward putting a pimple in the trim.  I now have one piece that
shows where every clip is located.  They are also to long to fit in the
upper door holes, the originals are 9/16" and what they sent was 7/8".  I
called them and they credited my account and they don't want the clips back.

I'm now waiting to see what Jim Carter has to offer, again it sounds good
over the phone.

Will keep you posted!

Mike Boteler
'56 4400 Brush Fire Trk NAPCO