RE: [oletrucks] 55 2nd series brake master cylinder replacement

To: phoneman@ticon.net, oletrucks@autox.team.net
Subject: RE: [oletrucks] 55 2nd series brake master cylinder replacement
From: "Carl & Becky Ham" <the_hams@hotmail.com>
Date: Tue, 27 Sep 2005 08:19:55 -0500
Mark:
In 2001 I bought a power brake conversion kit from Brothers for approx.
$370.  It included the power booster, dual chamber master cylinder and
mounting brackets.  It mounts under the floor in place of the original
master cylinder and uses to original brake pedal.  Installation instructions
were included and installation was not a big problem.  I ran a piece of
copper tubing from the intake manifold (vacuum source) to the booster and
had to purchase separately a fitting for the intake manifold.

I initially had some problems getting the pedal linkage adjusted correctly.
I had it set too tight to begin with and this caused the rear brakes to drag
(to the point it melted the paint off the brake drum.  I called Brothers and
they referred me to their vendor (a local manufacturer in CA) who talked me
through the adjustment process.

My only regret is that I didn't buy a master cylinder with remote fill
chamber.  The power brake conversion puts the MC cap about 6 inches back
from the original round rubber plug in the cab floor and to cut a hole for
the new MC chamber cover involves cutting through the square rib formed in
the bottom of the cab for the front seat support.  I left things alone but
it is a pain to get underneath the truck, pop the cover off the MC (only
about 4 inches clearance to the bottom of the cab floor), then use a squeeze
bottle to fill both chambers in the MC until it runs down the side (pretty
messy).

Classic performance Products (CPP) or EDS both sell MC conversions and
remove fill options.  You might want to check their websites.

Good luck and let me know if you have any other questions, I'll try to help.

Carl Ham
'56 Chevy Stepside Pickup
Hopewell, IL