[oletrucks] shift tube van tilt column

To: "ole trucks" <oletrucks@autox.team.net>
Subject: [oletrucks] shift tube van tilt column
From: "J Forbes" <jforbspam@fastmail.fm>
Date: Tue, 25 Oct 2005 21:21:03 -0600
Date: Mon, 24 Oct 2005 21:19:08 -0500
From: "Mike Sergesketter" <mserges@psci.net>
Subject: [oletrucks] How to remove the shift tube from an early 70's GM
column shift Steering Column

I am doing some repairs to my GM steering column to be used in my 57
chevy
pickup.  it is a column shift tilt column from an early 70's chevy van.
need to remove the shift tube to do some repairs, but it is being held
in by a
wavy looking washer.  The column shift jacket seems to be held on by the
wavy
washer, and this is preventing me from removing the shift tube from the
column
tube.  Anybody ever torn one of these down?  what is the trick for
removing
the tube?

I just took one of these apart a couple weeks ago.  There's a snap ring
on there too, it fits into two short slots on opposite sides of the
tube.  here are a few small pics from the shop manual...I ought to scan
the whole section, but this might get you started.

http://www.selectric.org/57burb/vantilt01.jpg
http://www.selectric.org/57burb/vantilt02.jpg
http://www.selectric.org/57burb/vantilt03.jpg

Jim