Re: [oletrucks] Suspension Question

To: Steven Stuckmeyer <slstusmc@yahoo.com>,
Subject: Re: [oletrucks] Suspension Question
From: Jim Nordwall <jimnordwall@yahoo.com>
Date: Tue, 15 Nov 2005 07:19:32 -0800 (PST)
I can't answer your comparison questions. I installed
a Firebird front clip because it was way less
expensive. Even after new rotors, calipers, shocks,
and bearings it was under $500. It does not look as
cool as a Mustang II installation. It did give me
ready made motor mounts for  a 350, power steering,
and power disc brakes. While I can't compare it to a
Mustang II, I can tell you it is way better than the
original.
The rear end I installed is a GM 10 bolt from the same
Firebird. I could have made it fit the Chevy AD
springs, but considered them far too stiff. The
firebird came with leaf springs. To use them, I had to
make new spring mounts for the front hangers. The
Chevy AD springs are fairly narrow when compared to
newer springs.

If you are going to run in road rally races with lots
of twists and curves, the four bolt and custom IFS
would probably make a difference. If you are going to
make a run accross Route 66, I don't think you would
know the difference between the two suspensions.

Jim Nordwall
1950 3100
Jacksonville, IL

--- Steven Stuckmeyer <slstusmc@yahoo.com> wrote:

> Hey All,
> I am finally getting ready to start the suspension
> on my 51 3100. The gathering of more parts anyway.
> My questions; Is there really a major difference in
> the ride/comfort of a Custom IFS and the less
> expensive IFS set ups? It seams the custom on is an
> easier install and less to maintain. I think it
> looks cooler but I will never have this truck
> sitting on mirrors unless I win the lottery.
> The same with the rear; Is a leaf spring set up
> about the same as a four point set up, or is there a
> dramatic difference in ride? I have a GM 12 bolt
> from a 70 Nova ready for the rear. I read somewhere
> that you can use the existing spring axle seats on
> this axle, or should I cut them off and get new ones
> to weld on if I use springs? I know I will need to
> set up the drive angle.
> I am going with CPP or TCI at this point. This will
> be a semi daily driver and local/not so local
> cruises. I would like to do the power tour some day.
> My goal is the Memorial Day Parade 2007, I doubt if
> I make this next year's. A man's got to know his
> limitations.
>
> Steve Stuckmeyer
> 51 3100
> St Peters, MO