Re: [oletrucks] Wheel/tire sizes

To: BagpiperEd@aol.com, oletrucks@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: [oletrucks] Wheel/tire sizes
From: wayne osborne <wayne@chevytrucks.org>
Date: Fri, 13 Jan 2006 10:45:45 -0500
I have a 70 Nova rear end under my TF and 8 inch wheel with 245 60 tires
fit great, and are tucked a bit under the fender lip. I doubt if a 10
including tire would tuck without tubbing, I went round and round with this
also and did the following to figure out what I could fit.
Get under the truck and measure between the bed wall and the fender lip,
this of course is max width you can go, compare this to the widest
measurement of the wheel/tire combo and see if she'll go. With the above
tire/wheel combo I have 3/4 inch between bed wall and tire, have 3/4 inch
between fender lip and outside of tire. So with this I do not think a 10
inch wheel would fit without scrubbing. If you tubbed you'll have to get
some backspacing to allow clearance on the outside and this will in turn,
take the extra wheel depth to the inside of the truck. So from the outside
a 10 inch would have about the same depth as the 8 inch wheels, so why not
put eight inch and won't have to worry about tubbing, of course this
depending on the rear end width.
The backyard way I figured if I needed any offset, which I didn't, I place
a piece of flat iron up against the wheel mounting area on the hub
extending into the fender cavity. This would the area where offset and
backspacing is measure from. I measured from this to the bed wall and to
the fender lip, fortunately I was right in the middle as why the 3/4 inch
clearance mentioned above. If this had been more narrow on the inside, I'd
have to get outside offset wheel to compensate.
Just my input for ya..  --wayne