RE: [oletrucks] Chevy Pump --> Mustang Rack

To: akburke@cableone.com, oletrucks@autox.team.net
Subject: RE: [oletrucks] Chevy Pump --> Mustang Rack
From: "Carl & Becky Ham" <the_hams@hotmail.com>
Date: Wed, 01 Mar 2006 21:38:07 -0600
Andy:
The GM power steering pump has too much pressure (if unmodified) for the
Mustang II power rack and pinion steering.  When I installed my TCI IFS with
power steering, I had to shim the pressure relief valve in the pump to lower
the pressure.  The relief valve is located behind the steering pump pressure
output fitting in the back of the pump (the only fitting with a flare
connection).  The fitting can be removed from the pump with a wrench and
should have the valve behind it followed by a spring.  The 'low' pressure
return should be a hose you attach to the pump with a hose clamp.

You can buy replacement valves already shimmed to the right pressure setting
(I think about $30-40), or you can do what I did and buy a kit that has the
valve disassembly tool and a supply of different thickness shims.  If my
memory is correct, the GM pump puts out about 120+ PSI for GM power steering
units and you need to reduce the pressure to about 80-90 PSI for the Mustang
II rack.  Check out Classic Performance Products (CPP) or RB's websites
(pretty sure I bought my kit with instructions from RB's).  They should have
the parts and maybe a tech article on how to do your own.

Probably wouldn't hurt to call the Heidt's tech line and get their opinion
too (in case there's a warranty issue).

Hope this helps.  Good luck with that new IFS!!  I love mine in my '56!!!!!

Carl Ham
'56 Chevy Stepside Pickup
Hopewell, IL