[oletrucks] Powder coating counsel (work, not list related, but still be

To: "Lotus Europa" <lotuseuropa@yahoogroups.com>,
Subject: [oletrucks] Powder coating counsel (work, not list related, but still best
From: "Mark Noakes" <mark@noakes.com>
Date: Thu, 09 Mar 2006 08:00:51 -0800
This isn't related directly to the various lists that this is sent to, but many
of you use powder coating on vehicles so I thought I might be able to get some
advice at least and maybe it would be technically useful to those lists as well.

I have a project where I have to get robot parts powder coated to a
"proprietary" gray textured finish for a program sponsor.  Only one shop in the
San Francisco area is currently set up to do this finish, and they won't
release info on the color and/or where they get it, but they also charge
exorbitantly and take up to 4 weeks to process work...and I can't afford the
down time.

I know how to get paint colors matched.  Is there a similar system to match
powder coating color and texture?  Any suggestions on professional shops that
do this kind of work and if they can do the matching with a sample?  I have a
part that I can remove from other equipment to get the color and texture
matched.

This needs to be professionally done, so something like Eastwood's system or
other homebrew is not an option right now...besides the fact that work wouldn't
pay for it.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.  Sorry for the bandwidth.

Thanks,

Mark Noakes

Personal, hobby, enthusiast vehicles, work/school, nature/travel/art
photography located at:

http://blog.mark.noakes.com/

"In theory there is no difference between theory and practice, but in practice
there is usually a difference."--Anonymous

Suppose you were an idiot. And suppose you were a member of Congress. But I
repeat myself.
-- Mark Twain.