RE: [oletrucks] Lowering the Front End

To: "David Raphael" <draphael@comcast.net>,
Subject: RE: [oletrucks] Lowering the Front End
From: "Hanlon, Bill (ISS Houston)" <Bill.Hanlon@hp.com>
Date: Tue, 18 Jul 2006 22:25:35 -0500
I've never seen "dropped spindles" for any kind of straight axle.

Dropped axle:
        good:   fully spring travel still available
        bad:    geometry change from pitman arm to steering arm may
cause bump steer
                $$$$

Remove a leaf or two (what I did, mine had 8 leaf heavy duty springs):
        good:   cheap
        bad:    geometry change from pitman arm to steering arm may
cause bump steer
                reduces the load carrying ability, may get a little
"bouncy"

Mono leaf:
        good:   easy to do
        bad:    geometry change from pitman arm to steering arm may
cause bump steer
                reported as more "bouncy" by many users
                if "reversed eye", very little travel until it hits the
"bumper"

15" tires:
        good:   relatively cheap
        bad:    depending on how wide they are steering may be harder at
very low speeds
                depending on how wide they are they may rub against drag
link at the pitman arm